Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Two Books

I made two new books for the Artist Book fair at Limerick School of Art and Design.

I'm not entirely happy with either of them for the reason that I don't think there is a complete synergy between the idea, the form and the execution.

You can't really just decide to make a book without thinking everything through and then thinking it all through again, then starting and always being willing to abandon an idea if it isn't working.  I think artist books teach you to have a very elastically creative mind but then giving up on an idea, especially when hours of work are there in front of you, is very difficult.  I gave up some ideas but never really started again from scratch and I think these books aren't 100% because of that.

Book 1:  Irish Bus
A set of 11 postcards detailing a bus journey from Hospital, Co. Limerick to Oranmore in Co. Galway wrapped in a hand-reproduced bus timetable for route 51.  I love travelling by bus and kept a diary, recording conversations, things overheard on the radio, and things I saw.  I also took photos and made 11 little scenarios out of my notes.  Currently Bus Eireann is in severe financial difficulty and may not survive for too much longer so these anachronistic postcards my turn out to be a record of an anachronistic journey.









Book2: To See Your Own Light
I often listen to Hildegard von Bingen while drawing and made a drawing into a single page book, housed in a folder.  The outside of the drawing has one of her pieces of writing that I thought especially pertinent written on it;


We cannot live in a world that is interpreted for us by others.  An interpreted world is not a hope.  Part of the terror is take back our own listening.  To use own our voice.  To see our own light.









No comments:

Post a Comment